Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Internship

This summer I am interning at The Dress Doctor; a Couture design and alterations boutique located in the Water Tower Place Professional Suites in downtown Chicago, Il.



The Dress Doctor works with Belle Vie Bridal and Vera Wang Bridal gowns, they do custom design work and just about anything sewing.



As an intern, am learning hand-work alteration and fitting techniques such as:
-Bustles--French and American
-Lingerie loops
-Boning tabs
-Easing
-Hemming techniques

As an intern I am also learning design techniques such as:
-Making flower embellishments
-Draping
-Using dress forms
-Beading

My experience so far has been very positive. The majority of the lessons I have learned are of a type one cannot quite put into words. Not exactly the gaining of knowledge so much as the gaining of experience and exposure. Doing the actual hand work in a shop is a different side of the clothing industry than one meets in a classroom.




2 comments:

  1. Hi Kristin! I read your note on facebook, and I just want to say that you're amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and this is Julie Forslev. Oops.

    ReplyDelete